[Event] Celebrating Dia de los Muertos

From: Daksha Howard <howardd_at_beloit.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 11:10:58 -0500

*Latinx Voices in collaboration with Residential Life*

* invite you to*
[image: Dia De Los Muertos.jpg]

*We will have an altar, youth folklórico dancers, tamales, a mariachi band
and more, join us in honoring and celebrating loved ones who have passed
on.*

*Significance of Día de los Muertos*

This event is commonly celebrated in Mexico, usually on November 1st and
2nd. The celebration is sacred in Latinx culture as it is held to remember
and honor deceased loved ones. The Aztecs and Nahua people held a cyclical
view of the universe and saw death as an integral, ever-present part of
life. Upon dying, a person was believed to travel to Chicunamitctlán, the
Land of the Dead. Only after getting through nine challenging levels, a
journey of several years, could the person's soul finally reach Mictlán,
the final resting place. Each year, family members provide their deceased
loved ones with food, drinks, and tools to assist them in their difficult
journey. Altars are conducted to remember and honor those who have passed.
We are offering space on the altar to students, faculty and staff who would
like to participate in honoring a loved one. If you are planning on taking
part in the ceremony, please bring a copy of the photograph (as we will not
be able to give that back to you) of your loved one and any other offerings
you desire.

*We hope you will join us this Saturday for a fun evening with food,music
and dancers in honoring and remembering loved ones as we celebrate their
lives. *

*“Our ability to reach unity in diversity will be the beauty and the test
of our civilization.” -Mahatma Gandhi*

Daksha Howard

Program Coordinator

Residential Life

Beloit College

Phone- 608-363-2125

Email - howardd_at_beloit.edu

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Hours: 9 am to 5 pm - Monday Through Thursday

Friday - 8 am to 1 pm

Dia_De_Los_Muertos.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: Dia_De_Los_Muertos.jpg)