[Event] Yom Kippur - Jewish Holiday

From: Daksha Howard <howardd_at_beloit.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:50:20 -0500

*Today marks the Jewish Holiday of: *

Evening of Sun, Sep 24, 2023 – Mon, Sep 25, 2023

Day of Atonement ✡️Yom Kippur for Hebrew Year 5784 began on Sunday, 24
September 2023 and ended at nightfall on Monday, 25 September 2023. Yom
Kippur (Hebrew: יוֹם כִּפּוּר or יום הכיפורים), Also known as Day of
Atonement, is the holiest day of the year for the Jews. Its central themes
are atonement and repentance.
[image: yom kippur.jpg]

*Yom Kippur In Brief*

*What:* Yom Kippur
<https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/4687/jewish/Yom-Kippur.htm>
fast
day is the holiest day of the year, when we are closest to G‑d and to the
essence of our souls. Yom Kippur means “Day of Atonement,” as the verse
states, “For on this day He will forgive you, to purify you, that you be
cleansed from all your sins before G‑d
<https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/433240/jewish/God.htm>.”1

*When:* The 10th day of Tishrei (in *2023*, from several minutes before
sunset <https://www.chabad.org/calendar/zmanim.asp?hdate=7/9> on *Sunday,
September 24,* until after nightfall
<https://www.chabad.org/calendar/zmanim.asp?hdate=7/10> on *Monday,
September 25*), coming on the heels of Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year,
which is on the first and second days of Tishrei
<https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/565383/jewish/Tishrei-in-10.htm>
).

*How:* For nearly 26 hours we “afflict our souls”: we abstain from food and
drink
<https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/4489890/jewish/Yom-Kippur-Fasting.htm>,
do not wash or apply lotions or creams, do not wear leather footwear, and
abstain from marital relations. Instead, we spend the day in synagogue,
praying for forgiveness.

Just months after the people of Israel left Egypt in the year 2448 from
creation (1313 BCE), they sinned by worshipping a golden calf
<https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3613047/jewish/What-Was-the-Golden-Calf.htm>.
Moses ascended
Mount Sinai and prayed to G‑d to forgive them. After two 40-day stints on
the mountain, full Divine favor was obtained. The day Moses came down the
mountain (the 10th of Tishrei) was to be known forevermore as the Day of
Atonement—Yom Kippur.

That year, the people built the Tabernacle
<https://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/2133493/jewish/What-Was-the-Mishkan-Tabernacle.htm>,
a portable home for G‑d. The Tabernacle was a center for prayers and
sacrificial offerings. The service in the Tabernacle
<https://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/2133493/jewish/What-Was-the-Mishkan-Tabernacle.htm>
climaxed
on Yom Kippur, when the High Priest would perform a specially prescribed
service. Highlights of this service included offering incense in the Holy
of Holies (where the ark was housed) and the lottery with two goats—one of
which was brought as a sacrifice, the other being sent out to the
wilderness (Azazel).

While the High Priest
<https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/4195084/jewish/The-High-Priest-in-Jewish-Tradition.htm>
generally
wore ornate golden clothing, on Yom Kippur, he would immerse in a *mikvah* and
don plain white garments to perform this service.

This practice continued for hundreds of years, throughout the time of the
first Temple in Jerusalem, which was built by Solomon, and the second
Temple, which was built by Ezra. Jews from all over would gather in the
Temple to experience the sacred sight of the High Priest performing his
service, obtaining forgiveness for all of Israel.

When the second Temple was destroyed in the year 3830 from creation (70
CE), the Yom Kippur service continued. Instead of a High Priest bringing
the sacrifices in Jerusalem
<https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/4246466/jewish/Jerusalem.htm>,
every single Jew performs the Yom Kippur service in the temple of his or
her heart.

*Forty days before Yom Kippur*, on the first of Elul, we begin blowing the
*shofar* every morning and reciting Psalm 27 after the morning and
afternoon prayers. In Sepharadic communities, it is customary to begin
saying Selichot
<https://www.chabad.org/holidays/JewishNewYear/template_cdo/aid/4350/jewish/What-Are-Selichot.htm>
early
every morning (Ashkenazim begin just a few days before Rosh Hashanah
<https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/4644/jewish/Rosh-Hashanah.htm>)—building
an atmosphere of reverence, repentance and awe leading up to Yom Kippur.

For *the week before Yom Kippur* (known as the 10 Days of Repentance
<https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/4826/jewish/10-Days-of-Repentance.htm>),
special additions are made to prayers, and people are particularly careful
with their mitzvah observance.

Just as Yom Kippur is a day of fasting, *the day before Yom Kippur* is set
aside for eating and preparing for this holy day. Here are some of the
activities that we do on the day before Yom Kippur:

   - Kaparot
   <https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/989585/jewish/Kaparot.htm>
is
   often performed in the wee hours of this morning
   - There is a beautiful custom to request and receive a piece of honey
   cake, so that if, G‑d forbid, it was decreed that we need be recipients, it
   be fulfilled by requesting honey cake and being blessed with a sweet year.
   - We eat two festive meals, one in early afternoon and another right
   before the commencement of the fast.
   - Many have the custom to immerse in a *mikvah
   <https://www.chabad.org/theJewishWoman/article_cdo/aid/323424/jewish/Mikvah.htm>*
on
   this day.
   - Extra charity is given. In fact, special charity trays are set up at
   the synagogue before the afternoon service, which contains the Yom
   Kippur Al Cheit prayer.
   - Just before the fast begins (after the second meal has been
   concluded), it is customary to bless the children with the Priestly
   Blessing.
   - Holiday candles are lit
   <https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/989590/jewish/Yom-Kippur-Candle-Lighting.htm>
before
   the onset of the holy day. Read more about the various candles
   traditionally lit before Yom Kippur.
   <https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1303865/jewish/How-Many-Candles-on-Yom-Kippur.htm>

How Yom Kippur Is Observed

Like Shabbat, no work is to be done on Yom Kippur, from the time the sun
sets on the ninth of Tishrei until the stars come out in the evening of the
next day.

On Yom Kippur, we afflict ourselves by avoiding the following five actions:

   - *Eating* or *drinking* (in case of need, see here
   <https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/528963/jewish/What-is-the-procedure-for-one-who-must-eat-on-Yom-Kippur.htm>
and
   consult a medical professional and a rabbi)
   - Wearing *leather* shoes
   - Applying *lotions* or creams
   - *Washing* or bathing
   - Engaging in *conjugal relations*

The day is spent in the synagogue, where we hold five prayer services:

   - *Maariv*, with its solemn Kol Nidrei service
   <https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/5345/jewish/Kol-Nidre.htm>,
   on the eve of Yom Kippur;
   - *Shacharit*, the morning prayer, which includes a reading from
   Leviticus followed by the Yizkor memorial service
   <https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/371509/jewish/Yizkor-The-Memorial-Prayer.htm>
   ;
   - *Musaf*, which includes a detailed account of the Yom Kippur Temple
   <https://www.chabad.org/search/keyword_cdo/kid/15098> service;
   - *Minchah*, which includes the reading of the Book of Jonah
   <https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/16183/jewish/Chapter-1.htm>
   ;
   - *Neilah*, the “closing of the gates” service at sunset, followed by
   the *shofar*
   <https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3061833/jewish/Why-Blow-Shofar-Following-Neilah-After-Yom-Kippur.htm>
    blast
   <https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3061833/jewish/Why-Blow-Shofar-Following-Neilah-After-Yom-Kippur.htm>
marking
   the end of the fast.

Click here for a detailed overview of the day’s prayers.
<https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1965282/jewish/What-You-Need-to-Know-About-Yom-Kippur-Synagogue-Services.htm>

Beyond specific actions, Yom Kippur is dedicated to introspection, prayer
and asking G‑d for forgiveness. Even during the breaks between services, it
is appropriate to recite Psalms at every available moment.

*Learn more about **Jewish holy days and religious holidays*
<https://www.diversityresources.com/jewish-holy-days-religious-holidays/>*.*

*If you are interested in attending High Holy Day services, please contact
B’nai Abraham, the Jewish community of Beloit at:*

*Tel: (608) 364-4916*

*Email: synagogue_at_charter.net <synagogue_at_charter.net>*

 *Yom Kippur Day*

Congregation B'nai Abraham, the Jewish community of Beloit, invites you to
attend High Holy Day services.
Monday, Sept. 25

Morning service--10:00 AM

Afternoon service--2:30 PM

Yizkor and Havdalah services--4:30 PM

Masking and social distancing are recommended during all services. Please
stay home and take care of yourself if you are not feeling well. May you be
inscribed in the Book of Life for a good and a sweet year!

*“Our ability to reach unity in diversity will be the beauty and the test
of our civilization.” -Mahatma Gandhi*

Daksha Howard

Program Coordinator

Residential Life

Beloit College

Phone- 608-363-2125

Email - howardd_at_beloit.edu

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Hours: 9 am to 5 pm - Monday Through Thursday

Friday - 8 am to 1 pm

yom_kippur.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: yom_kippur.jpg)