[Important] Student Events: Website Calendar, Digital Signage, and For Beloiters

From: Nick Mischler <mischlern_at_beloit.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 10:37:30 -0500

Hello everyone,

As we head into this new academic year, there are going to be plenty
of events and programming taking place on campus, and event planners
looking to promote them.

We want to make sure you are all aware of the campus resources available to
share and promote your events, the foremost being the www.beloit.edu
 website.

*What events should be added to the website?*
*Almost every campus event should be added to the website to help build a
complete campus calendar <https://www.beloit.edu/calendar/>.*

The exceptions include:

   - *Private events*, such as dorm floor meetings or a personal movie
   night with friends.
   - *Invite-only events*, such as club executive meetings or a study group
   for a specific course.
   - *Other events*, specifically those that the college may not want to
   promote publicly, most often for the safety of students. *(For example,
   the weekly 10pm to 1am parties that were common when I was a student.)*

As for why to include your event:

   - *For you*, adding an event to the website provides passive promotion,
   where users can discover your event themselves or can easily look it up
   whenever they need to after hearing about it from a friend, seeing a
   poster, etc.
   - *For our community*, the calendar is a comprehensive resource to find
   events of interest and plan schedules.
   - *For event coordinators*, the calendar helps to plan and schedule new
   events at appropriate times, minimizing conflicts and overlaps, etc.

*You can have your events added to the website*
Students cannot add or manage events directly on the website, but their
events can still be added to the website.

   - *If your event is related to an academic department or campus office*,
   consult with your advisor or employee contact to add the event to the
   website on your behalf.
   - *If your event is related to a club or organization*, submit your
   event to Student Engagement and Leadership (SEAL)
   <https://www.beloit.edu/offices/student-engagement-leadership/clubs-organizations/add-event-to-calendar/>
for
   inclusion on the website.
   - *For other kinds of events, or if the above resources are unable to
   assist*, you can submit your event through For Beloiters
   <https://www.beloit.edu/for-beloiters/#students>.

*Event planning resources and best practices*
The full process for planning an campus event is outlined on the
College Events site
<https://www.beloit.edu/offices/college-events/campus-events/>, with the
following pages being particularly helpful for adding events to the website:

   - *Adding Events to the Website*
   <https://www.beloit.edu/offices/college-events/campus-events/add-event-to-website/>

   A general how-to, with details on how an event is promoted on group pages,
   campus calendar <https://www.beloit.edu/calendar/>, and digital signage
   <https://www.beloit.edu/digital-signage/>.
   - *Best Practices*
   <https://www.beloit.edu/offices/college-events/campus-events/best-practices/>

   For planning an event as well as writing effective titles, summaries, and
   descriptions for the website listing.

*Digital signage*
In a collaboration between Communications & Marketing
<https://www.beloit.edu/offices/communications-integrated-marketing/>
and Information
Technology <https://www.beloit.edu/lits/information-technology/>, the
former digital signage system has been updated. This new system has adopted
the signage in the Powerhouse, is easier to manage, and provides the campus
community greater opportunities to communicate with itself.

Full details about Digital Signage is available on the website
<https://www.beloit.edu/digital-signage/>, but two key points for event
coordinators from the digital signage policy
<https://www.beloit.edu/digital-signage/policy/>:

   - Event signage must be added as an event item on the campus website and
   appear on the campus calendar before it is promoted on digital signage.
   - All content must be scheduled to appear for at least one week, and can
   only appear while it is still relevant. *(In other words, you have to
   plan and promote your events early to be included on digital signage.)*

*Aside: Digital Signage isn't only limited to promoting events. You can
have your clubs and organization promotional posters included as well, for
example.*

*For Beloiters / Beloiters Beat*
As before, we are constantly looking for events to include on For Beloiters
<https://www.beloit.edu/for-beloiters/> and in the Beloiters Beat
<https://www.beloit.edu/live/profiles/7261-2023-09-11-playing-games-and-being-active>.
Given our limited space, we are specifically looking for events that campus
audiences want to learn about.

If you think your event fits that description, ask for it to also be shared
with the "For Beloiters" group. Otherwise, we are watching the calendar and
may include your event, if it's there to find.

If your event ends up not being included, remember that it is still
available on the complete campus calendar <https://www.beloit.edu/calendar/>
.

*Questions?*
If you have any questions, particularly around how to add or
present events on the college website, please reach out to me via
email *(mischlern_at_beloit.edu
<mischlern_at_beloit.edu>, in a new email thread please)*.

Thanks,
Nick

--
"Logical people, given the same information, will come to the same
conclusion." - *PLM*